The Healthy Mummy has dropped by to share a seriously impressive Chocolate French Cake recipe. This dairy-free alternative to a traditional fave, is sure to make your next dinner party a big hit!
Chocolate French Cake Recipe
- 180g unsweetened chocolate or 80% chocolate, broken into smaller pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 ripe, medium-sized avocado, pureed
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp wholemeal flour
- Cocoa powder to dust
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease a springform tin and line the bottom with greaseproof paper. Wrap the outside of the tin in aluminium foil (so water doesn’t get in when cooking).
- Place chocolate in a small saucepan and melt, stirring, over a low heat. Add vanilla and sugar and stir until well combined. Add avocado puree and mix thoroughly. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs for 1 minute or until frothy. Add flour and beat again. Add the chocolate mixture and mix well. Pour into the springform pan.
- Pour 2.5cm of water into a large roasting dish and place the springform pan in the water. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the cake has just set on the edge but remains soft in the centre.
- Remove the foil coating and put the pan onto a wire rack to cool for a few minutes. Turn the cake out onto the wire rack and peel the backing paper off the base, which is now the top of the cake.
- Once completely cooled, decorate with cocoa powder.
For a gluten free alternative, substitute the wholemeal flour for almond meal.
For more healthy treats check out The Healthy Mummy Guilt-Free Chocolate Treats and Baking Cookbook.