Most store-bought muffins have eight teaspoons of sugar, making them not much better than a piece of cake. So, I decided to create my own Wholemeal Banana and Blueberry Muffin recipe that has absolutely no added sugar. The sweetness of the banana and blueberries is more than enough to make them a yummy treat – and one that you won’t have to feel guilty about!
Wholemeal Banana and Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds – ground or whole (depending on how hidden you want them to be!)
- 2 medium bananas – mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 125 ml macadamia or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 12-hole 1/2-cup capacity muffin tin with paper cases.
- Mix together flour, bi-carb soda, baking powder and chia seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the bananas, egg, water, oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.
You can find more of my healthy recipes here.