With school returning next week I thought I’d share a super yummy lunchbox recipe that is a big hit in our house – and not just with the littlies! Wheat, nut and dairy-free, these Muesli Bars are also very sneaky and choc-a-block with healthy ingredients they won’t know are in there. Win!
MUESLI BAR SLICE
What You’ll Need:
- 65g brown rice
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxseeds (linseeds)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Half Pink lady apple (or an sweet apple) grated – optional
- 200g of your choice of dried fruit. For example, dates, apricots, cranberries, goji berries etc.
- 90g whole oats
- 70g rice bubbles (preferably brown)
- 25g shredded coconut
- 70g raw caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons pepitas or sunflower seeds
- 50g coconut oil – melted
- 2 large eggs
- 50g raw honey
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line the base and sides of a 20cm x 30cm rectangular tin with baking paper, allowing a little bit to overhang.
- Grind the flaxseeds, chia seeds and brown rice in a food processor until fine. Decant into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Pulse dried fruit in food processor a couple of times until roughly chopped.
- Add dried fruit and all other ingredients to mixing bowl. Stir until dry ingredients are completely coated in the wet.
- Pour into prepared tin. Use the back of a metal spoon or the bottom of a heavy glass to press the mixture evenly into the pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before lifting onto a cooking rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, cut into pieces
- Once they have cooled, you could also drizzle 100g of melted white chocolate over the bars.
- For a crunchier bar, leave the apple out.