Ever wondered what the big deal is about Chia Seeds? Well, I’ve put together a cheat sheet that will run you through the health benefits of this superfood. I also share some simple ideas for how you can add them into your diet.
What Are the Health Benefits of Chia Seeds?
- Chia is gluten-free.
- Its the richest plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids which help reduce inflammation, enhance cognitive performance and reduce high cholesterol. Did you know that per gram, Chia contains eight times more omega-3 than Salmon?
- Chia Seeds are one of the best sources of soluable fibre that you can get your mitts on. By attracting water and forming a gel, soluble fibre delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full for longer. It also reduces inflammation, lowering cholesterol and regulating bowel function.
- It can help regulate insulin levels and is packed with protein.
- Chia has a high antioxidant profile.
- Compared with milk, Chia has six times more calcium per gram.
- Unlike Flaxseed (which are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, minerals and fibre), Chia Seeds do not need to be ground in order to obtain their benefits.
How Much Chia Do I Need Each Day?
Nutritionists suggest having 1-2 tablespoons of Chia Seeds per day.
How Can I Add Chia Seeds Into My Diet?
Chia Seeds have no real taste or smell, so it’s easy to add them into your cooking. Here’s a few ideas to get you started: