They’re crispy! They’re delicious! Oh, and they’re ridiculously easy to make…Say hello to Kale Chips.
Kale is a powerhouse whole food. It’s high in fibre, antioxidants and is a great source of Vitamins A, K, C, and E. And when you use it to make chips, the whole family will be happy noshing on this healthy snack!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 bunch of Kale – try and buy organic if possible as leafy greens are one of the dirty dozen that have high pesticide residue.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- A sprinkling of salt
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 135 C.
- Remove the stems from your Kale and rinse the leaves. Gently pat leaves dry or use a salad spinner – just make sure you remove all the excess water or they won’t crisp up.
- Tear or chop the kale into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl with the olive oil and salt. Mix until leaves are evenly coated.
- Spread Kale in a single lay onto a baking tray. Don’t overcrowd or they won’t get crispy.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning the leaves over halfway.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Now that you’ve nailed the basic Kale Chip recipe, why not mix things up and get creative with flavours? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Lemon: As soon as they come out of the oven, finely grate lemon zest over your Kale Chips.
- Soy and Sesame: Replace half the oil with soy sauce, and cut back on the salt. Once the Kale Chips have been baking for 10 minutes, sprinkle them with 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds before returning to oven.
- Chili Lime: Mix a bit of chili powder or cayenne pepper in with the salt and olive oil. Squeeze a little lime juice over your Kale chips when they’re hot out of the oven.
- Sea Salt and Vinegar: Mix one tablespoon of olive oil with one tablespoon of Vinegar and add salt to taste. You can use any vinegar you like, I tried Sherry Vinegar and it was delish!
- Garlic and Parmesan: Add two crushed cloves of garlic to your oil and salt mixture. As soon as you take your Kale Chips out of the oven, sprinkle 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan on top.
- Smoky Paprika: Add one teaspoon of paprika to your oil and salt mixture