Drink your way to good health by downing a green smoothie. It’s a powerful (and super easy!) way to up your mineral consumption, cleanse toxins, oxygenate blood and boost energy.
Most days I replace one meal with a green smoothie and have noticed an incredible difference to my weight, wellbeing and skin. Here are my top 10 green smoothie tips that I’ve learnt along the way:
- New to green smoothies? Then check out the Wellness Warrior and her awesome step-by-step guide to becoming a lean, clean, green machine!
- When starting out, begin with light-tasting spinach.
- To mellow out the grassines of the greens, add one peeled lemon to your smoothie.
- You want to have a ratio of three vegetables to one fruit. Steer clear of starchy vegetables though like carrots, beets, broccoli stems, zucchini, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, eggplant, pumpkin, squash, okra, peas, corn or green beans.
- Unlike juice, a green smoothie will keep in the fridge for two days – which means there really is no excuses! Just remember, to keep it covered and that as soon as your smoothie is warmed to room temperature it should be consumed.
- Rotate the greens you use to avoid alkaloids accumulating in your body. You can read more about this over here.
- To maximise its benefits, drink your smoothie by itself and not as part of a meal. In fact, it’s best to avoid eating anything else 40 minutes before and 40 minutes after.
- For an extra kick add a teaspoon of almond butter, chia seeds, maca powder, spiralina, goji berries, bee pollen or acai.
- Wherever possible, choose organic as leafy greens are one of the dirty dozen that has high pescticide residue.
- To get some recipe inspiration head on over to Simple Green Smoothies.