Now you can have your cake and eat it too with The Healthy Mummy Guilt-Free Chocolate Treats and Baking Cookbook.
Created by The Healthy Mummy, a health and fitness website for mum’s, this cookbook contains a stack of health alternatives for those who have a sweet tooth.
“If you’re trying to lose weight, or just trying to choose a healthier option, traditional baking can be a challenge. In most cases, recipes for baked treats are high in sugar, which isn’t great for you or your family. That’s why we worked with qualified nutritionists to create our latest book,” explains Rhian Allen, founder of The Healthy Mummy.
To give you a little taster (pun intended!), Rhian has shared one of the most popular recipes from their cookbook for guilt-free and healthy Chocolate Cake and Sauce.
Guilt-Free and Healthy Chocolate Cake and Sauce Recipe
3⁄4 cup zucchini puree
1 cup coconut sugar (or a natural sweetener blend, such as Natvia)
1 1⁄4 cups wholemeal flour
1⁄2 cup raw cacao or cocoa powder
1 tsp olive or coconut oil
1 1⁄4 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla essence
1 cup beetroot puree
160ml smooth light ricotta
40g dark chocolate
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp coconut sugar (or a natural sweetener blend, such as Natvia)
2 tbsp skim milk
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Whisk together eggs, oil, sugar, zucchini puree and vanilla.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cacao, then stir into wet ingredients.
4. Add pureed beetroot and stir until well combined.
5. Pour mixture into a greased and lined cake tin (we used a ring tin) and bake for 30-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Remove from pan and place onto wire rack to cool.
7. For the sauce, break dark chocolate into small pieces then combine all ingredients in a sauce-pan, and stir over a low heat until chocolate has melted.
8. Serve immediately as a hot sauce poured over individual slices, or chill in the fridge to spread over as icing.
Nutrition note: Coconut sugar is made from the sap collected from the flower of a coconut palm tree. This is heated to evaporate the moisture and then ground down into granules. Coconut sugar has a lower fructose level and glycaemic index than regular table sugar.
The Healthy Mummy Guilt-Free Chocolate Treat & Baking Cookbook is $29.95 and available here.