Carrot cake has long masqueraded as a health food. But in reality it’s normally made with a truck load of sugar, butter, cream cheese and icing sugar. So this month, The Healthy Mummy stops by and shares with us a super simple and healthy sugar free Carrot Cake Muffins. It’s also dairy free so you don’t have to feel guilty about having one…or two!
Healthy Recipe: Sugar Free Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup oil (olive, coconut or macadamia), plus 2 tsp extra
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180 c.
- Place carrot, flour, almond meal, baking powder and walnuts in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and blend with a stick mixer until smooth (or us a blender).
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to fold through. When batter has come together, set aside for 5 minutes to thicken,
- Use the extra oil to grease a muffin tray (or use patty cases). Spoon the batter into the cups and bake for 25-30 minutes. Muffins are cooked when a skewer comes out clean.
Freeze these muffins to keep as a snack or even a quick breakfast in the car with the kids!
For more healthy treats check out The Healthy Mummy Guilt-Free Chocolate Treats and Baking Cookbook.