Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. I was gifted a Veggetti to review and wanted to share it with you!
In the warmer months, I could happily eat my weight in salads. But as soon as the temperature starts to drop, they suddenly become pretty unappealing. And for good reason too – our bodies require different things from us in different seasons.
With the cooler weather approaching, cravings for high-calorie, high-carb foods, like pasta, start to hit. But, with all sniffles and coughs that come with the season, this is precisely the time we need to give our bodies the nutrient hit of raw veggies.
Ditch the Pasta, and Get Your Veggetti On!
They say that summertime bodies are made in the winter, so if there is only one change you make, breakup with pasta and introduce yourself to my favourite kitchen tool – the Veggetti.
The Veggetti is a niffty way of cutting your fave vegetables into thin spaghetti size or thick fettuccini size noodles. The 12 ultra-sharp stainless steel blades effortlessly cut through zucchini, squash and carrot for a all work really well with carrot and more are sliced with the 12 ultra-sharp stainless steel blades that effortlessly cut through vegetables for endless pasta strips.
Chicken Meatballs and Veggetti Recipe
- 750 g chicken mince
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves – finely sliced
- 4 green onions finely sliced
- 1 lemon – finely grated rind and juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion – diced
- 4 garlic cloves – thinly sliced
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- 4 zucchini
- Finely grated parmesan and handful of basil to serve.
- Combine mince, parmesan cheese, basil, green onions, lemon rind and lemon juice in a bowel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of mixture into a small ball. Place on a large plate and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and pop in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil into a large heavy-based frypan and heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stock. Season with black pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Drop meatballs into sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, use a Veggetti to make ‘spaghetti’ from the zucchini and set aside.
- Serve meatballs on top of the zucchini Veggetti. Scatter over extra parmesan cheese and basil leaves.
To save time, I often prepare the meatballs (Steps 1 – 3) in the morning, so that when I get home all I have to do is cook them.
Win 1 of 8 Veggetti!
I’m sharing the love and giving away eight Veggetti spiral vegetable slicers (valued at $39.95) each. To enter all you have to do is:
- Become a Checks and Spots subscriber (if you’re not already!)
- Leave a comment below sharing with me what meal you’d create if you had a Veggetti.
Entries close 10pm Sunday 19 April 2015. Good luck!
Competition Fine Print: Competition open to Australian readers only. This is a game of skill. The winner will be decided by Checks and Spots. Winner announced on Checks and Spots on Tuesday 21 April 2015 and contacted via email. Prize is not transferable.
Edit: Many thanks to everyone who entered! Our winners are: Claire Pitcher, Anya Wood, Alicia L, Cathie, Angela Ciavarella, Diana, Mel Ross and Meredith Treloar