When it comes to modern power dressing, House of Cards writes the rules with Claire Underwood (played by Robin Wright) proof that you should dress for the job you want. Taking inspiration from Lauren Bacall and Carolyn Bassette-Kennedy, Claire’s wardrobe is as flawless as it is refined. Think pencil skirts, muted tones and architectural lines.
Inspired by the home entertainment release of House of Cards Series 3, I recently caught up with style expert, Inez Garcia, so she could show us how to take a style cue from Claire’s wardrobe and dress for success. Inez has worked as a fashion director and stylist for 20 years at some of Australia’s leading publications, including Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, the (sydney magazine) and Sunday Magazine. She has also worked as a celebrity stylist with Cate Blanchett, Miranda Kerr, Sienna Miller, Rihanna and Nicole Ritchie – so if anyone is going to know a thing or two about how to dress like a boss, Inez is!
How to Dress For Success
Inez has four simple tips for how you can dress for success:
- What you wear communicates to the world how you want to be seen. If you feel great, you will project confidence and authority. If you feel uncomfortable, it will show in how you interact with others.
- Work out what suits you best. One thing all women of great style have in common is that they’ve worked out what suits them best and they stick to this regardless of seasonal trends. Find what works for you, what makes you feel great every time you wear it and get rid of anything that doesn’t!
- You don’t have to dress like a man to be taken seriously. Claire’s Underwood’s simple but always so perfectly tailored style is a great example of how to dress with a potent mix of strength and femininity.
- Keep makeup flattering but simple. Too much makeup is distracting and will make you look unsure of yourself.
The Perfect Power Wardrobe
Inez recommends pulling together a work wardrobe with these key pieces:
- A selection of classic silk and cotton blouses.
- A blazer in black or dark navy.
- A flattering pair of tailored black pants.
- A simple black shift dress that can be worn pared back for work and then accessorised for after hours.
- A camel coat.
- A pencil skirt
- A great black leather handbag
- Simple black pumps
- A classic watch
- A slim black leather belt
- A pair of great, flatteringly face-framing sunglasses – essential for those days when you need a little extra help!
How do you dress for success?
House of Cards Season 3 is out now on Blu-ray, DVD & Digital.