Yesterday I met Target’s number one guy, Gok! I’ve always been a fangirl, but in real life he was seriously impressive. He knew his stuff inside out and back-to-front. This wasn’t a case of phoning in his new ambassadorship with Australia’s beloved Tarjay. Gok was passionate about the brand, its new direction and dressing women in a way that makes them look – and more importantly feel – great. And to top it all off, he had a ton of energy and sincerity. Oh my Gok alright!
Anyway, here’s eight things I learnt from Gok one sunny afternoon:
- This season, there is a return to classic styling. Aside from perennial spring favourites like a crisp, white shirt and indigo jeans, you should look for a some 7/8 tailored, slim-leg trousers (they have a cut that’s in between capris and cigarette pants) and a jacket with disconnected tailoring – think nipped in waist, oversized lapels, cut-out collar.
- Apparently it’s the death of the heel. Your tootsies will be thankful that in spring it’s all about the flat!
- Over the next 12-18 months big changes are happening at Target. They’re focusing on separates, getting the basics rights and will cleverly interpret trends in a way that matches Zara, Topshop and H&M.
- Target will also be focusing on developing their maternity range and Moda, their plus size collection. Hallelujah!
- When Gok first went instore and checked out what gear they have for the guys, he said he saw a lot of ‘shorts to wear to a BBQ and that was about it’. But after getting the scoop on what Target have coming for spring and summer, I for one am really surprised. The casual shirting, prints and cuts were spot on. It will be really interesting to see how this new direction plays out.
- What’s the biggest mistake women make with their everyday style? Wanting to dress for others.
- Compared to the UK, Gok things that Australian women have an honesty about fashion.
- In terms of colour, next season there will be a return to black (did it ever go anywhere?!) and a mustard shade of yellow will be big news.
Are you a Target shopper? What do you think of their new number one guy, Gok?