Since skin is your largest organ, one of the best way to show it a little TLC is with dry body brushing.
What are the benefits of body brushing?
- Sloughs away dry skin – after all, who wants crocodile skin elbows?!
- Helps promote skin renewal.
- Increases blood circulation.
- Improves skin texture.
- Stimulates the lymphatic system by aiding the flow of lymph fluid throughout the body.
- Aids digestion.
- Helps keep your pores clear which is essential for the elimination of toxins – did you know that one-third of your body’s impurities are excreted through your skin each day?
- Strengthens your immune system.
How do you do it?
Only ever brush towards your heart. Start at the soles of your feet then move up your legs on both sides. Next work from your arms towards your chest, then do your back. And finally, brush counterclockwise on your tummy.
When dry body brushing, use long sweeps and steer clear of scrubbing, back and forth or circular motions. Oh, and don’t brush too hard. If you’re skin is red then you’re being a bit too enthusiastic!
Daily! Spend about three to five minutes body brushing before you hop in the shower.
What type of brush is best?
The bristles should be natural, not synthetic, and preferably vegetable-derived. Avoid synthetic brushes or gloves as they’re too sharp and can damage your skin. It’s also worth finding a brush with a long handle so you can do your back properly!
As a starting point, you might like to check out bodecare’s range of brushes